Software Asset Manager
Software Asset Manager
We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Preston as a Software Asset Manager.
The role will be an initial 6 month contract and will provide you with the responsibility development of a SAM strategy and for maturing the SAM capability through development and implementation of a strong SAM framework and solution, implementing robust end to end processes, and ensuring continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement the SAM strategy and associated SAM plans to transform the SAM service
- Embed a strong SAM framework and solution – implement KPIs and continually improve end to end processes, to drive compliance, drive down cost and software obsolescence, across the software estate
- Responsible for the development and presentation of business cases in relation to the SAM end to end lifecycle service and ensuring delivery of approved changes through to benefits realisation
- Manage and co-ordinate software vendor audits including the generation of required reports for vendors such as Microsoft, Oracle, and SAP etc. Provide guidance, support and advice to the SAM team and BAE Systems stakeholders.
- Perform as Lead for the Software Asset Review Board and play an active role in the Joint Working Groups reporting to the Office of the CIO in relation to software e.g. Business Services JWG, SAP Community of Interest
- SAM lead for technology configuration and capacity change review. Responsible for the development of standards and processes in relation to change management, to ensure that all changes that have the potential to impact SAM requirements are assessed appropriately
- Conduct reviews in relation to optimisation of software spend for software licences by identifying opportunities to exploit better options of licensing arrangements (e.g. license harvesting/license transfers/intelligent renewals etc.)
- Provide business engagement advice and guidance to stakeholders in relation to software license management highlighting risks, making recommendations and overseeing mitigations through to resolution.
- Conduct deep dive investigations when required into Software publisher complex license metrics / terms and conditions, providing conditional modelling reports and cost analysis for executive management decision making
- Work with Software Procurement to mature processes and provide reports to ensure that costs align with terms and conditions. Assess new and/or contract changes and be part of the sign off process for new and renewed contracts and related documentation. Consult with Legal and Procurement stakeholders to review, develop and insert appropriate legal protections in contracts, as warranted. Assist with the establishment of clear contract change control processes; including Contract Conformance
- Support Finance with the forecasting of software spend requirements and reporting of savings
- Provide leadership of the SAM team mentoring and developing them to ensure the daily and strategic activities are planned and completed within agreed timelines
Key skills & qualifications
- Relevant degree educated or at least 10 years Software Asset Management executive experience in a similar organisation
- Certified Software Asset Manager (CSAM)
- ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate
- Microsoft MCP
- Practical knowledge or/and certification of ISO 19770
- Exceptional knowledge of Software Asset Management principles and methodologies
- In depth knowledge of ITAM and SAM management processes
- Exceptional knowledge of the Top Tier Software category Publishers
- Extensive knowledge of software licensing terms, metrics and optimisation
- Excellent knowledge and experience of SAM toolsets
- Experience with ServiceNow and/or other ServiceDesk tools
- Solid experience in business process modelling, able to identify gaps and improvements or develop new processes to continually increase the SAM service maturity
- Solid experience in defining Software Asset Management business metrics and providing analytics, Dashboards, complex queries
- Exceptional skills in using a variety of office automation software programs such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, SharePoint and MS Project
- Ability to work within a team to achieve the business and functional objectives
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex information to effectively communicate and present it to senior stakeholders
- Strong experience and aptitude in working with complex large-scale organisations
- Strong experience and understanding of modern IT infrastructures and technologies
- Exceptional knowledge and experience of Hardware and software asset lifecycle management
- Accountable for the strategic improvement of the SAM Service
- Ensure all SAM compliance risks are escalated and mitigated where possible
- Ensure that all software used to deliver the customers’ services is fully compliant with the relevant licencing terms and conditions including software renewals.
- Provide service compliance reviews as required to address any risks to the SAM service.
- Attend monthly SAM Reviews with in-scope Business Groups to ensure that software compliancy is maintained.
- Ensure SLAs are within targets for all ServiceDesk requests
- Maintain knowledge of software licensing and usage legislation
- Provide excellent customer service
- Provide support for other team members
- Lead the SAM Team in software publisher audits and internal SAM audit activities.
What we’re looking for in you
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Well-developed analytical/ problem solving/ decision making skills.
Strong organisational skills who is adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
Stakeholder management skills.
Rate: £36.75 per hour (INSIDE IR35)
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.