Senior Naval Architect
The Senior Naval Architect is a key role in the Design Services Naval Architecture team responsible for delivering naval architecture capability across a broad set of challenges to meet the needs of Warship Support internal projects and the customer programmes.
In addition to participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to surface ship platforms and naval base facilities, the position is responsible for:
Leading naval architecture domains such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and drydockings.
Leading design reviews and certifying deliverables and providing assurance to the Design Authority that tasks are fit for purpose.
Mentoring and providing technical leadership and guidance to other team members.
- Providing Technical Leadership and direction for naval architecture tasks such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and drydockings.
- Leading design reviews and certifying deliverables.
- Mentoring and providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Provide assurance to the Design Authority that tasks are fit for purpose.
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering naval architecture design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
- Participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to surface ship platforms and naval base facilities
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work
- Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertak
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
- When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills
- Promoting the skill areas capabilities and department to attract new work
- Adopt a professional approach to all naval architecture design solutions to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology.
- Qualified to degree level, preferably MEng, in Naval Architecture /Marine Technology.
- Professionally Registered (CEng) as a member of The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) or equivalent.
- Has a breadth and depth of expertise in
- leading, conducting and analysing Inclining Experiments in a MOD framework
- Structural analysis, both theoretical and ideally using FEA, preferably ANSYS Workbench
- Understanding of drydocking theory and practice
- Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Caisson design and operation
- GRP and steel ship repair methods and procedures
- Surface ship design standards and processes (IMO, NES, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Good understanding of the whole ship engineering design process.
- Good understanding of the hydromechanic aspects of surface ship design, principally stability
- Familiarity of naval architectural software, preferably PARAMARINE
- Experience of CAD software such as AutoCAD, Inventor
- Awareness of Product Safety and SHE
- Awareness of marine and/or defence systems
- Awareness of how marine risk is managed by Class/ Flag State Authority
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.