Senior Naval Architect
Senior Naval Architect
We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Portsmouth as a Senior Naval Architect.
The role will be an initial 6 month contract and will provide you with the opportunity to be apart of a key role in the Small Boats Design team responsible for providing naval architecture capability across a broad spectrum of projects.
- Participate in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to the small boats sector.
- Conduct naval architecture tasks such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and concept design.
- Lead minor engineering projects, developing requirements into solutions and providing appropriate engineering evidence for the SDA.
- Mentoring and providing technical leadership and guidance to other team members.
- Collate evidence and present solutions so as to provide assurance to the SDA and other stakeholders.
- Lead minor engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery.
- Providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Conducting naval architecture tasks such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and concept design.
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering naval architecture design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
- Participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to to the small boats sector.
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid the manager under the authority of the SDA.
- Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken.
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or program of work to ensure all aspects of the naval architecture design solution are considered.
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of the project or the business
- When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for
Key skills & qualifications
- Qualified to degree level, usually MEng, in Naval Architecture /Marine Technology or demonastrable experience.
- Small craft design from concept through to delivery. o Small Craft design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, DefStan, Classification Rules) o Vessel powering and performance analysis.
- Small Craft systems design including electrical, fuel, bilge etc.
- 3D modelling, ideally using Siemens NX.
- 2D drafting knowledge and experience.
- Stability analysis, ideally using Maxsurf.
- GRP and aluminium design and repair knowledge
- Structural analysis, both theoretical and ideally using FEA Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Conducting and analysing Inclining Experiments.
- Knowledge of commercial and/or military small craft.
What we’re looking for in you
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Well-developed analytical/ problem solving/ decision making skills.
Strong organisational skills who is adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
Stakeholder management skills.
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.