Senior Design Engineer
Senior Design Engineer
We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Portsmouth as a Senior Design Engineer .
The role will be an initial 6 month contract and will provide you with developing requirements into solutions and providing appropriate engineering evidence for the SDA as well as provide Mentoring and technical leadership and guidance to junior team members.
- Lead minor engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery.
- Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out. Providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Collate evidence and present solutions so as to provide assurance to the SDA and other stakeholders.
- Create detailed 3D models and 2D drawings, for a wide range of products from small components to whole vessel systems. Produce drawings in accordance with BS8888 Engineering Drawing standards.
- Carry out small craft systems and marine engineer design tasks.
- Liaise with sub-contract manufacturers and suppliers regarding design solutions.
- Implement design changes and provide post-delivery support and resolve obsolescence issues.
- Carry out engineering calculations as required for the project in their area of expertise.
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid the manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work under the authority of the SDA.
- Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or program of work to ensure all aspects of the design solution are considered
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
- When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills.
Key skills & qualifications
- Normally qualified to BEng degree level or HND/HNC with relevant experience; in marine engineering, small craft design, marine technology or mechanical; or equivalent level of experience. Normally working towards chartered status with a relevant engineering body.
- Capable of leading minor engineering small craft projects from requirement capture through to delivery.
- Experienced in 3D modelling, ideally using Siemens NX, and 2D drafting (Autocad or similar) for production and manufacturing.
- Understanding of the design process.
- Awareness of Product Safety and SHE and the participation in HAZIDs.
- Demonstrable knowledge and, ideally, experience in a number of the following:
- Marine engineering knowledge
- Small Craft design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, ISO, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Knowledge of commercial and/or military small craft.
- GRP and aluminium design and repair knowledge.
- Good knowledge of Small Craft systems design including electrical, fuel, bilge etc
- Capable of communicating technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, with colleagues, management, and externally.
- Be comfortable representing BAE Systems both in the supply chain and in the customer community.
- Ability to lead design tasks within own knowledge areas and motivate others.
- Good communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills.
- Required to liaise with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
- Good communication skills, able to understand and explain technical information to others.
What we’re looking for in you
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Well-developed analytical/ problem solving/ decision making skills.
Strong organisational skills who is adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
Stakeholder management skills.
Working from home required
Rate: £50.09 per hour (INSIDE IR3)
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.