Product Safety Engineer
PRODUCT SAFETY ENGINEER
We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Christchurch as a Product Safety Engineer.
The role will be an initial 12 month contract and will provide you with the opportunity to support the product safety SME1 (Principal Engineer, Design Integrity, Product Safety & Environment, DI) in carrying out the product safety engineering tasks required to support the design authorities for one or multiple projects.
Under the direction of the product safety SME, the PSE is needed to support the projects’ Technical Authorities in their generation of safety engineering deliverables on some products.
The PSE will be expected to be able to handle context switching, i.e. working effectively on several different projects/bids concurrently, as safety engineering deliverables producer
The main sites where the projects may be based are Frimley, Christchurch, Hillend and Yeovil; some potential travel between these and other UK locations may be required. Whilst the individual will be site-based there may be opportunities to work from home.
- Capturing product safety and product environmental requirements
- Preparing, maintaining and managing the implementation of Project Safety and Environmental Management Plans to ensure that product safety is managed in a cost effective manner
- Hazard identification, analysis, and review
- Hazard log management
- Analysis of product safety risk and its mitigation
- Safety review of designs, and verifying safety requirements
- Constructing safety arguments/justifications
- Supporting Product Safety & Environmental Committees
- Completing product safety checklists and safety statements as required for Design Certification
- Providing advice and guidance to project teams on product safety and product environmental issues
- Supporting bids for product safety issues
Key skills & qualifications
- Sound understanding of Safety & Environmental Legislation and Standards, the requirements of DEF STAN 00-056, including earlier issues of 00-56 and the requirements of DEF STAN 00-051.
- A proven track record in the application of hazard identification, analysis and safety risk assessment techniques
- The safety aspects of legislative compliance with various UK Products Legislation for UK CA Marking, and the equivalent EU Directives and Regulations, e.g. LVD, EMC and RED for EU CE marking (including various means of compliance such as DEF STAN 59-411, BS EN 62368-1, etc.)
- Experience of having created and maintained Safety Cases and Safety Arguments / Safety Justifications / Safety Case Reports
- Knowledge of UK Military and Export Military environments
- Experience in the application of military, national and international standards for safety and environmental management
- Ideally experience of MoD’s DSA02.DLSR.LSSR and DSA03.DLSR.LSSR (formerly JSP 454)
What we’re looking for in you
- Customer focused
- Good inter-personal skills and the ability to influence by reasoned argument
- Ability to challenge constructively
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Good report writing skills
- Numerate, including in the use of Excel
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer
Rate: £55.85 per hour (Inside IR35)
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.