Principal Software Engineer
Principal Software Engineer
We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Barrow as a Principal Software Engineer.
The role will be an initial 12 month contract and will provide you with the opportunity to develop software management policy to determine how software products will be managed and assured on future submarines programs.
- Develop policy for software design, management and assurance for future submarines
- Liase and work with internal and external customers to understand their expectations and ensure that policy is aligned accordingly
- Liaise with internal stakeholders such as Safety and Product Security Engineers to ensure a coherent approach to software management and assurance
- Ensure Software requirements are adequately flowed into the design baseline
- Undertake Supplier verification activities including audits, reviews and inspections to assess capability and performance.
- Where necessary, work with Software Suppliers to address any shortfalls in capability and performance.
- Liaise with Software Suppliers to maintain assurance of design intent, and to monitor resolution of issues that may compromise compliance with the requirements.
- Witnessing of testing at the Suppliers premises.
- Prepare acceptance evidence for Software and submit to the appropriate requirement owner for acceptance in accordance with the acceptance submissions process.
- Undertake impact assessments in support of change submissions, engineering cost trade-offs or defects, concessions and issues that may affect Software.
- Produce and compile evidence in support of the Software and Software Safety Requirements.
- Contribute to the identification and rapid closure of defects and issues emerging from testing and trials, and maintain oversight of any resulting change embodiment or concession activities.
- Articulate and present complex technical arguments clearly, logically and simply.
- Provide assurance to the Business that software related activities are being undertaken in accordance with relevant policies, plans and processes
Key skills & qualifications
- Degree (Honours) qualified in STEM discipline or equivalent experience in a related discipline
- Experience of management, audit and inspection of third party software suppliers
- Knowledge of Software development in a modern software engineering environment from requirements through design, implementation, testing and acceptance
- Experience and understanding of current Ministry of Defence and international software standards, and safety standards such as DS0056, DO-178C, IEC-61508 or ISO-12207
- Chartered Engineer status with a relevant professional body
- Experience of ISO 9001, TickITplus and CMM (Capability Maturity Matrix)
- Practice of using a software development plan, safety plan and software design documents
What we’re looking for in you
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Well-developed analytical/ problem solving/ decision making skills.
Strong organisational skills who is adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
Stakeholder management skills.
Rate: £53.08 per hour (INSIDE IR35)
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.