Principal Engineer – Systems Engineering (Process & Governance)
Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance)
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance) will be able to apply their subject matter expertise and domain experience to support submarine programmes through the adequate provision of Process (and process like documentation) and the support to and undertaking of governance activities, strategies and designs.
They will provide subject matter expertise and advice to other functional and capability areas to support overall project delivery and performance.
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and governance) shall have a good understanding of the relevant maritime legislation, industry and defence standards.
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance) will be able to understand and report the programme status for relevant engineering activities, identify problem areas and implement recovery plans. This will include the management of any consequent change embodiment activities.
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance) will have a working knowledge of major developments and changes in Process and Governance tools, technique, strategies and focusses across the business as well as an awareness of major external factors from government, industry and academia which may have a significant impact on the work they undertake and support.
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance) shall utilise their knowledge and experience to lead and, develop others both formally through the delivery of training as well as informal coaching and support.
All of these works will be conducted Safely and to a high level of Quality through the correct application of business process, discipline best practice and suitable use of toolsets.
The following activities are typical of the work that may be carried out in full or part dependent on project, programme, functional and business priorities:
- Provide specialist knowledge and subject matter expertise in the development of engineering processes. Identify the need for, develop, communicate, and maintain processes supporting the entire engineering lifecycle. Understand and articulate the impact of their processes on other areas of the functional and wider business.
- Provide specialist knowledge and subject matter expertise in the development of tasks, plans, and strategies supporting the governance of engineering activities. Understand and articulate the role of governance within and beyond Engineering.
- Undertake governance activities from planning through delivery and issue/recommendation implementation.
- Ensure design proving evidence is comprehensive, captured within the correct tools and documentation and has been endorsed by the appropriate level of authority.
- Ensure that all process and governance work undertaken is recorded and communicated in line with business and functional processes.
- Support the development of estimates for the scope of work and resources required to deliver it in order to support bids, proposal development and project planning activities from a process and governance perspective.
- Support the documentation of domain knowledge and be able to pass on information and expertise in order to help grow the knowledge base within appropriate business teams.
- Provide technical guidance to other engineers and support the engineering management team in planning and controlling specialist activities.
The Principal Engineer – Systems (Process and Governance) will be responsible for, or provide input, in the form of technical knowledge, process and governance advice and support across engineering and engineering supporting team in all phases of the engineering lifecycle.
- Deliver appropriate technical solutions against functional and business requirements and regulations both for process development, communication and maintenance as well as for governable activities within engineering.
- Provide engineering Lifecycle Management (LCM) adherence for all deliverables, and relevant input to project LCM activities.
- Provide specialist technical input, review and support into projects beyond immediate scope as an independent thereof
- Leverage process and governance experience and knowledge in both the tactical and strategic development of other engineers and relevant members of other supporting functions.
Subject Knowledge and Qualifications/Other Experience
- Significant knowledge and expertise of process and/or governance process and practices in the defence, maritime or closely linked industry and the correct recognition of the context of their work within the overall business.
- Knowledge of the engineering lifecycle with experience of operating in the phase relevant to the role and awareness of the entire engineering lifecycle.
- The technical understanding of the context of their work within the overall product and platform/programme.
- A strong understanding of other related project, product, programme, domain, discipline and functional teams of submarines or equivalent external bodies.
- A strong working understanding of Product Safety and SHE.
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.