We have an exciting new contract opportunity based in Portsmouth as a Lead Engineer .
The role will be an initial 12 month contract and will provide you with the opportunity to support the BGEM and Project Manager in the engineering components of the Boats In Service Support (BISS) contract.
- The management of the BISS Engineering Output
- The management of Post Design Services (PDS) tasking (acceptance and tracking of tasking)
- PDS growth and customer engagement activities (including customer meetings and proposing new work).
- Deliver Class Lead activities including, obsolescence, configuration control and reliability monitoring.
- Peer Review and approval of engineering work.
- Engage in drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
- Participate in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and Statements of Work as required to support the PDS tasking.
- Provide sound estimates for PDS work.
- Application of Governance process with agreement of BGEM and in accordance with Engineering Management Plan, inc. Design Certification as applicable.
- Application of Product Safety Practices.
- Ensure that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner delivering design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones.
- Participate in a wide range of activities to support in service vessels including, detailed design, support to build, concept design and delivery.
- Ensure adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or programme of work to ensure all aspects of the design solution are considered
- Process Improvement to support the BISS contract.
- Coaching and Mentoring Team Members
- Promote the skill areas capabilities and department to attract new work
- Adopt a professional approach to all work to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology.
Key skills & qualifications
- Chartered Engineer
- Normally qualified to a minimum of BEng degree level (or HND/HNC with relevant experience) in marine engineering, Naval Architecture, small craft design, marine technology or mechanical.
- Demonstrable knowledge and, ideally, experience in a number of the following:
- Leading engineering projects.
- Small Craft design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, ISO, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Significant knowledge of Small Craft Specification, Design, Development, Integration and Acceptance, able to appreciate the breadth of disciplines required and how the sub-system interfaces are defines and managed.
- Good knowledge of safety requirements and processes, legislative regulations and the Design Certification process
- Knowledge and experience of Lifecycle Management, Risk Analysis and Management, Reliability, Maintainability and Logistics.
- Requirements Capture.
- 2D or 3D modelling experience (CAD software such as AutoCAD, NX)
- Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Knowledge of commercial and/or military small craft.
- Awareness of Product Safety and SHE and the participation in HAZIDs.
- Able to influence technology plans and ensure that the product plans are aligned to those
- Good knowledge of working with the MoD on small craft programmes
- Awareness of product safety and design for safety.
- Awareness of LCM process or the engineering lifecycle.
- Able to provide guidance to junior members and direct a small team of engineers (no line management duties)
- Represents the Business through working groups and conferences.
- Able to present complex information and concepts to a wide range of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Able to build strong relationships at all levels internally and externally.
- Personal responsibility for his/her own learning and development and to work with the SB Future Products SDA to identify opportunities to increase individual effectiveness
- Managing own work and knowing when to seek guidance
What we’re looking for in you
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Well-developed analytical/ problem solving/ decision making skills.
Strong organisational skills who is adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
Stakeholder management skills.
Rate: £30.00 per hour
AAP3 is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.